Saturday 11 November 2017

The Day of the Pin

It was Remembrance Day today, which means making sure one has a poppy on display. I have issues with poppies, or rather with the needle: I cannot keep the darn thing on. I blogged about it back in 2014. So in many ways, it becomes for me the Day of the Pin, where I try to fix it on my jumper or coat, prickle myself and lose the darn poppy. Then I buy another one, until I lose it, then another one, and so on and so forth. Today, my wife and I discovered that we had forgotten to buy one, we quickly did at the earliest occasion. But I decided against taking pins with them. We have a very young child who puts everything in his mouth after all, and I'd rather be careful. And that was an excuse not to be forced to fix it on. Now all I need to do is find a way to put the poppy on display without the pin. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

PJ said...

Un petit morceau de scotch tape mis en boucle en arrière.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Some people use one of those tiny Canadian flag lapel pins (you know, the kind with the attachable back clasp that the pin goes into) and put that in the middle of the poppy to keep it on without using the straight pin. The Legion frowns on this though because they say the poppy should only be worn by itself.